ACF-LI COVID-19 Status Update & Resources
MESSAGE FROM THE ACF-LI BOARD OF DIRECTORS
A new reality is upon us, and yes we will continue to look back, learn from our past, and celebrate the little victories while we are living in the present, but we must look to the future. This week, our focus will continue to shift to the future and students are the future. Since we last shared an update, we are thrilled to announce Forty-Three (43!) NEW STUDENT MEMBERS of the ACF-LI chapter! These students going to school at Eastern Suffolk BOCES took advantage of the new ACF National Student Membership program (more here). We congratulate each new member, these young culinarians have a full life ahead, kudos to the culinary instructors: Chef Richard Simon, CSC; Chef Matthew Kozak; and Chef Spyridon Giannakoulopoulos!
Monday May 4th our chapter will be have a virtual Zoom meeting; this is the normal day of our chapter meeting, but a virtual location is a new normal. Join the meeting Link Here Meeting ID: 359 508 6098. Our focus is connecting together and sharing resources for the bright FUTURE. All are welcome to join as we come together.
All tickets for our Gala have been refunded in Cheddar-Up. We have no specifics of a new Gala date or summer BBQ, however the board would be delighted to plan a live event when we are able to.
Today please begin utilizing the Amazon Smile feature to benefit a non-profit organization at no cost to you. Share it with your immediate and extended family, LinkedIn & social media network; should folks choose to support the ACF-LI Amazon Smile, this increased funding will help make up for the lost fundraising from 2 years of no Gala. Critical funding that enables us to fulfill our mission, feed the community, and support students with scholarships.
As a chapter we will continue to collaborate with and lean into businesses and non-government organizations to better serve our members. With Carroll’s kitchen as a benchmark, we will begin featuring our members, sponsors, and the charities we support. We promise to add value to each and every one of our members, sponsors, and the many charities we serve. If you would like to be featured early on please simply send us a picture, signature recipe, blurb about your job, community service interests, hobby or fun fact!
Looking to SHAPE OUR FUTURE, each of us please consider taking a few minutes and let’s make a difference, to go online and take the 2020 census to prepare our healthcare and infrastructure planning for the next decade that will impact future generations https://my2020census.gov/ Please see many new resources and reminders below, take advantage of them and if you have others please share them with us and be hopeful that things will be brighter in the future. During this time of uncertainty, the ACF-LI is certain to band together. All members can ask Here EBOD questions, or just reply here to this message to provide suggestions!
- NEED Fitted Fabric Masks? www.ReelPsychos.com Local business owner
- Don’t see what you want? Call 516.223.3344/message and ask if we can do it!
- NEED SANITIZER? PAY HERE Cheddarup.com/c/hand-sanitizer
- ACF has available for pick-up from Holtsville/Smithtown/Northport/Massapequa @ $2.50 / Unit
- We made a purchase of 280 units. 40 remain! Splitting, sharing with friends, or family welcome
- After payment Text Andrew 516-967-4090 for arranging pick-up or drop off
- OTHER PPE AVAILABLE! At New York TENT SALE | Plainview, NY Call (631) 346-0224 for more
ACF NATIONAL PRESIDENT | Stafford DeCambra, CEC, CCE, CCA, AAC
- Today I write to you with messages of truth, hope and a better future.
- Things to ponder, things to remember, things to put to work. In 1965, the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. said it best, with just three words in his famous speech, “We Shall Overcome.” So many years later, those words still live within us, and now together, during a different, difficult time, we must put those words to work as we look forward to a better future. Read more here
GEORGETOWN SUPPLY CHAIN DISRUPTION WEBINAR
- Join this informative round-table Q&A session on #supplychain leadership post COVID-19 moderated by KATALYST with faculty from our #supplychainmanagement master’s program at #georgetownscs next Tuesday on 5/5 at 5PM EST.
- Please register to join us: https://lnkd.in/ecXV-nD
JAMES BEARD FOUNDATION | Provides Exemplary Industry Leadership
- Here is a list of national and regional relief services, guides, and more.
- Here is a list of sobriety, mental health, and well-being resources.
- Helping to Feed the Most Insecure: Access to food has become increasingly precarious. A variety of proposals are being put forth to be considered in CARES II, as well as new programming responding to the crisis—some could also help support restaurants that became emergency feeding centers.
- For example, the Community Meals Fund, authored by Rep. Nydia M. Velázquez (D-NY), would establish a new program to help meet staffing shortages at anti-hunger nonprofit organizations.
- Nonprofits could qualify for grants of $500,000 to partner with small and mid-sized restaurants for the preparation and distribution of food to vulnerable populations. For more on supply chain disruption access our full brief here.
DATTASSENTIAL RESOURCES: FOOD + CORONAVIRUS REGISTER TODAY
- See below screenshot example of consumer data!
- Datassential is providing all of their Coronavirus related reports and resources, as they’re ready, free of charge. I am firstly asking that our chapter share these reports, which will help you and your customers.
- Many more resources available here: https://datassential.com/coronavirus/
- WEBINAR EVERY FRIDAY @ 2PM CST Join thousands of food industry professionals every Friday for a deep dive into the most critical, industry-related topics around Coronavirus. Each week Datassential, in collaboration with IFMA, shares latest research, insights, and dives into key topics.
- By registering, you’ll also receive the most immediate access to new COVID-19 research as soon as it’s published. REGISTER TODAY
ACF CHAPTER MULTILATERAL PARTNERSHIP | Six-Figure Meals Being Coordinated
- ***If our membership have a use or need for donations reach out to a member of the board***
- The talented Chef Joe Gifoli of the OPEN Gourmet Bake Shop 775 Hillside Avenue, New Hyde Park, will be acting like a hub for our membership to pick up a couple cases of items to cook at their homes.
- Donations from generous manufacturers Richs, Future Foods (Oumph), and family cattle farmers are in process. Top-notch distributors J. Kings / Sysco Long Island has offered their drivers & trucks to deliver the large-scale donations to hub locations. ACF chapters in collaboration with numerous College & Universities nationally (that Chartwells Higher Ed is the food service provider).
- Locally, NYU, Adelphi University, St. Johns University, Queens College, Stockton University and more are receiving multiple pallet donations and acting as a hub to create care packages/help feed over 325K meals at nonprofit organizations (City Harvest, LI Cares, Island Harvest, Pronto, and more) near and far.
USDA CORONAVIRUS FOOD ASSISTANCE PROGRAM UPDATE | https://www.usda.gov/CFAP
- CFAP will use the funding and authorities provided in the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES), the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA), and other USDA existing authorities. The program includes two major elements to achieve these goals.
- Direct Support to Farmers and Ranchers: The program will provide $16 billion in direct support based on actual losses for agricultural producers where prices and market supply chains have been impacted and will assist producers from lost demand and short-term oversupply
- USDA Purchase and Distribution: USDA will partner with regional and local distributors to purchase $3 billion in fresh produce, dairy, and meat. USDA will begin with the procurement of an estimated $100 million per month in fresh fruits and vegetables, $100 million per month in a variety of dairy products, and $100 million per month in meat products.
- The distributors and wholesalers will then provide a pre-approved box of fresh produce, dairy, and meat products to food banks, community and faith based organizations, and other non-profits serving Americans in need. Thanks to Riviera Produce giving us a heads up, the ACF-LI and 10 other local non-profits were included and the USDA is deliberating now.
- Should Riviera be award the contract and we will need to arrange a system for understanding need/distribution to our community, we have ideas and welcome suggestions.
- Crisis Text Line: 741-741 free/confidential/24/7 or call mental health professional, 1-844-863-9314
- Click Here to file for NY State unemployment | Be patient, volume massive, benefits will be retroactive.
- JOB PLACEMENT (Hiring or Looking) Email Roland.Iadanza@Lichefs.com
- Any member who is out of work and uncertain of their job status may submit their resumes in confidence to Roland through email. There are opportunities opening currently and when we get through this pandemic there will be numerous openings to fill.
- Employers hiring please submit employment requests through email with position, location, and contact information along with any other relevant information (website, start date, & salary)
- Please spread the word to associates, colleagues etc, Let’s all be prepared and proactive
- Where can I get more information about Coronavirus?
- Here For World Health Organization – WHO Updates and resources to protect yourself
- Here To Centers for Disease Control – CDC Protect Yourself & What TO-DO If You Are Sick
- Here To New York State Department of Health Updates
- Here To NYC Department of Health Updates
- Here To Nassau County CVOID-19 Updates Page / Coronavirus Hotline: (516) 227-9570
- Here To Suffolk County CVOID-19 Updates Page
Please stay safe and healthy. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn for more up to date info.